The Regional Association of Municipalities of Central Macedonia was established in 2010 by Law 3852 of “Kallikratis” Program, joining seven former local associations of municipalities of the prefectures of Central Macedonia (Imathia, Thessaloniki, Kilkis, Pella, Pieria, Serres and Halkidiki). Members of the Regional Association of Municipalities of Central Macedonia are the 38 Municipalities of Central Macedonia. The 38 municipalities-members the Regional Association of Municipalities of Central Macedonia formed by 133 Municipal Sections, 123 municipal communities, 525 local communities, and 1,047 settlements.
Aims of the Regional Association of Municipalities of Central Macedonia
* Cooperation between municipalities – members.
* The promotion of the institution of first degree Local Government.
* Research and study issues related to Local Administration and Local Development.
* The collection and processing of data and information on general and specific issues related to the mission and project of the municipalities.
* Systematic informing and training staff and members of the municipal services.
* Working with public and private agencies, active in local administration issues and decentralization.
* Cooperation with institutions and agencies of Local and Regional Administration of Greece and the European Union.
* Participation in the corporate administrative bodies with the representatives.
* The planning, coordination and support actions to enhance the position and role of Municipalities personnel and members of elected bodies and for more efficient operation of administrative units.
* Strengthening and supporting initiatives that strengthen decentralization and local development and economy.
* The undertaking of actions and measures to improve the quality of life, environmental protection and social cohesion.
The Regional Association of Municipalities of Central Macedonia participate in the General Meeting of the Central Union of Municipalities of Greece (KEDE), composed of 500 representatives from all over Greece.